The Harold W. McGraw, Jr. Center for Business Journalism, an initiative of the City University of New York Graduate School of Journalism, began offering Fellowships to accomplished business journalists in the summer of 2014. Nearly two dozen veteran journalists have since been awarded grants of up to $15,000.
The aim of the McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism is to support in-depth, ambitious coverage of critical issues related to the global economy and business. In an age when many news organizations no longer have the resources to tackle complex, time-consuming stories, the Fellowships enable experienced journalists to do the deep reporting needed to produce a serious piece of investigative or enterprise journalism.
- The stipend— $5,000 a month for up to three months — is intended to cover travel and research expenses incurred in reporting the stories and to assist with the Fellows’ living expenses.
- Where travel or other expenses are exceptionally high, we will consider covering additional expenses approved in advance.
- If you are receiving support from another grant or foundation for the story you are proposing, please include that in your application.
- The McGraw Fellowship for Business Journalism is open to anyone with at least five years professional experience in journalism.
- Freelance journalists, as well as reporters and editors currently working at a news organization, may apply.
- A veteran journalist who has returned to school could apply, however.
- Applications will generally be accepted twice a year — in the summer and late fall. However, they will consider time-sensitive projects on a case-by-case basis outside of the deadline periods.
- They’ll consider proposals with a strong U.S. angle from both foreign and American journalists, as long as the work is published in English in a U.S.-based media outlet.
- You need to give two references, including at least one from an editor who has worked with you. Make sure both come from people familiar enough with your work to be able to discuss your ability to carry out the proposed project.
DEADLINE: December 15, 2017
To apply and for more information visit here
Latest posts by Toluwanimi Onibokun (see all)
- APPLY: Novella-in-Flash Award Entry in UK 2018 - January 23, 2018
- APPLY: Journalism Fellowship Programme at University of Oxford 2018 - January 23, 2018
- APPLY: LEAP Summit 2018 in Croatia - January 22, 2018